A growing body of research indicates that lifestyle choices contribute to increased health and that school children learning outside can improve children’s lives.
Here in San Diego we are getting engaged by Putting Prevention to Work which has begun to build community consensus around public health need. Together with our San Diego County parks parks partners we will promote physical activity by increasing opportunities for walking, bicycling, parks and recreation by improving green space.
Healthy and smart Outcomes
With support from research grants, Community Parks Alliance (CPA) will define specific community parks, open space, recreation and health improvement needs. With support from implementation grants CPA will engage schools and communities to participate in a pilot project to achieve the following outcomes over a period of 3 years.
The purpose is to:
The purpose is to:
- Identify community areas needing supplemental green space to respond to the community health improvement needs, and outdoor recreation and activity voids.
- Identify schools willing to participate in the development of green space.
- Coordinate with land owners on green space easements or rights.
- Identify corporate sponsors who are a good fit with the needs of the community.
- Engage community groups and schools in the design and implementation of green space.
- Build community green space.
- Investigate, define coordinate with stewardship partners.
- Expanded natural ecology creates healthy communities.
- Increased community activity in outdoor spaces improves health and reduces healthcare costs.
- Cities that focus on developing greenways and parks create strong economic drivers.
- Creating and maintaining parks and greenways is educational and rewarding.
- Learning in the outdoors is fun and inspirational.
- We believe in youth and communities as active participants.
- Our success depends on our people.
- We value the time, effort, and commitment of everyone involved in this organization.
- We value and respect one another as volunteers and professionals.
- We believe in healthy, sustainable environments.
- We support good, equitable design, planning, and design that promotes quality of life.
- We appreciate and recognize that there is a past/present/future of the uniqueness our communities.